Wednesday 5 September 2007

The castle


Oooooh it was such a lovely day today, work was the usual *yawn* but as the sun was shining things weren't so bad. I'm leaving my job in November, starting afresh somewhere new. I need a change although I'll miss the people so much, they are just lovely!!


So I went to Portchester Castle the best preserved of the Roman ‘Saxon Shore’ forts. It is the only Roman stronghold in northern Europe whose walls still mainly stand to their full height. It then housed a Saxon settlement, the huge waterside fortress became a Norman castle in the 12th century, when a formidable tower-keep was built in one corner (a shop too now!). Portchester was in the front line throughout the Hundred Years War, serving as a staging post for expeditions to France and repelling cross-Channel raids. Richard II transformed part of the castle into a palace in 1396 and Henry V used it as a departure point for the Agincourt campaign in 1415. Thereafter it saw little action, but was used to house troops in the Civil War, and prisoners of war during the Dutch and Napoleonic Wars...... here ends my history lesson lol!!!


It's a great place for a picnic too as sampled by my mum and dad yesterday!!!


Over and out for now xx








No comments: